1. Trying to use the shop? Use /shop tutorial in-game for a quick overview. Visit here for a command overview.

I Have Seen The Errors Of My Ways

Discussion in 'Everything Chat' started by waffle027, Jul 14, 2014.

1. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    Now that I have your attention *clears throat* :

I've recently had a large change of heart ladies and gentleman, for I have seen the light.
    My Xbox 360 is aging and will soon need replacing. I can no longer connect to the internet on it( which means no netflix or multiplayer) and with the new generation consoles there's no point in dropping $60+ for games running on a dying operating system. This has brought me to a hard place in my life. I'll be leaving for college soon and I need something to replace the hole in my heart that is multiplayer gaming; I am a social butterfly that can be held captive no longer.

With these hardships in mind I began my search for the next wallet pillaging machine that would fill such need. I've always been a Mac user, not out of choice, but because that's what was handed down to me or what has been gifted to me. I'm very thankful for those machines, but they weren't what I needed. With Steam adding so much new content all the time for PC it was like playing with Linkin Logs while the other kids got hella Legos. This is why I have renounced my ways and desire to make the change to PC.

I'll let that soak in

Now what I need is to know where to put my first foot forward, and as the only multiplayer community I still have contact with I look to all you nerds out there to guide me in this ordeal. I know the Alienware Alpha will be shipping this holiday season and since I'll be living in a dorm the size of that is appealing, but other than that I have no other biases or inclinations so please; advise me.

tl;dr= I just really fucking want to play Space Engineers and watch netflix.
  2. Patty_Melt pooty pls

Minecraft Username:
    Patty_Melt
    install gentoo
  3. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    Was ist das?

-edit-
    Looked it up and it seems confusing. I'm not overly tech savvy and I have no prior experience with Linux
  4. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
  5. epicglitch32 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    TheEpicGlitch
    If you still want to use Linux I recommend:

Arch

Crunchbang

Linux mint

Debain

Oh, and don't use Windows 8... Ever.
    xBL00DYxM1STx likes this.
  6. xBL00DYxM1STx Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    xBL00DYxM1STx
    Unless your going to school in Antartica, you don't want windows 8. It's basically a heater.
    KnightZack60 likes this.
  7. Getparanoid Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    GetParanoid
    cactusman777 likes this.
  8. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    What's the price range for a performance PC. Like what would it run me to buy/build one that can run something like Metro: Last Light at 1080p w/ 30 fps and not de-sync in a sandbox multiplayer like Starmade or space Engineers?

~Edit~

Starmade and Metro fuck me sideways only on occasion when I'm running them on my IMac, so I don't think I'm terribly far off

~2nd Edit~

Hail the Reddit nurdz, that does that job for me basically. This brings me to monitors, cooling, housing, and assembly. I know nothing about any of those 4 things.
  9. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
    After you see 60, you will want to get 60.
  10. epicglitch32 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    TheEpicGlitch
    Yes, 30fps may look decent at first, but after you see 60+for, 30fps looks like your game is running on a potato.
  11. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    How much more expensive is the hardware?
  12. timsandtoms Administrationator

Minecraft Username:
    timsandtoms
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/ should be better than the /r/pcmasterrace build list, although both are great STARTING places, but you should double check everything before ordering. Maybe a GPU with a better cooler is on sale, maybe there's a case that you enjoy the style of better, etc. I would say start with at least the $513 build, the "Good" one, and put 8GB of RAM in it, instead of 4GB. Ignore anything Patty says about Linux, you're trying to switch to the OS with more games, and he just likes going around to any computer discussion and telling people to install Gentoo. You're going to be on a real gaming platform now, don't shoot for 30FPS, you want 30FPS to be your minimum, and you want to shoot for 60FPS(Or more if your monitor supports it, but only the expensive ones normally do).

For reference, my GPU is a GTX 460, and my CPU is an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition, and I can run Metro on high settings(Not maxed) on 1920X1080 resolution at 45-60FPS, while streaming, which eats up a fair bit of CPU power, and I run Skyrim at mostly full settings(AA/AS/shadows are down a bit), with a few graphical mods, at 45-60FPS. Any GPU and CPU that beats mine in benchmarks will be great for gaming.
  13. Getparanoid Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    GetParanoid
    How much are you WILLING to spend? That's really the first thing we need to know and we can help you :) and if you aren't comfortable with telling us then by all means there are tons of tutorial and write ups available out there. I can help you out as I have tons of parts list already on my PcPartPicker (Nearly 30) and I can whip a new one up in just a few minutes.
  14. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    I sold an iMac for $1100 then I have some money I've saved up from work. That being said I don't necessarily have to spend it all. My budget for the computing hardware I'll make around $700-900. I need something future-proof and with some longevity since I'm dropping that kind of money.
  15. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
    $900 is more than enough for a good rig. Mine is about $800 and can easily run anything I put to it. And probably will for the next few years. The question is not IF it can run it, but at what quality.
  16. Patty_Melt pooty pls

Minecraft Username:
    Patty_Melt
    reddit? pig disgusting

enjoy your malware
  17. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
    fuck off back to 9gag nerd
  18. waffle027 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Waffle027
    I think I'm going to start with an Asus x79 deluxe motherboard with an i5 processor and 2-4 8gb Gskill ripjawz ddr23 2400's. That's as far as I've gotten

~Edit~
    If I can get a good price on that motherboard
  19. Getparanoid Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    GetParanoid
    That's a bit much for a motherboard, I'd look into Asus's z87 its what I have and its fantastic
  20. Getparanoid Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    GetParanoid