1. Trying to use the shop? Use /shop tutorial in-game for a quick overview. Visit here for a command overview.
  2. Keep in mind our server keeps running because of players like you! Be kind and vote for us!

Server News Important 1.9 News, Ongoing Donor Deal, Weekly Update, And Possible Creative Map!

Discussion in 'News' started by timsandtoms, Feb 20, 2016.

1. timsandtoms Administrationator

Minecraft Username:
    timsandtoms
    First things first, 1.9. It's the same story as it's been for the past 5(Seriously! 5! February 15th was our 5 year anniversary! Go TimGaming!) years: The server can't update until server software has been updated to the new version. Make a profile for 1.8 so that you can play here until that happens. Here's a handy how-to:
    [IMG]

Next up, all the info I have about how we'll handle 1.9, this weeks update, and the state of the server funds.

1.9 info:
    • We'll update to 1.9 as soon as we can, which means as soon as there is a Spigot version available that our core plugins work on. Core plugins are ones like Vault, Essentials, WorldEdit, WorldGuard, PermissionsEx, and dynmap. There's probably a couple of other ones I'm missing.
    • We will not be resetting the map. No map reset. Map reset=no. Not happening.
    • Seriously. No map reset. I cannot iterate that enough. There are no major terrain generation changes in the main world, just a few very minor ones.
    • 1.9 is pretty much the greatest update ever, and just looking through the changes, nothing looks like anything we'll need to fix. The Frost Walker enchantment might end up getting affected by protections, but that's only if it's glitchy and breaks things. If anything, it's more likely to be a region flag.
    • I'm not sure how we'll handle the end. I'm thinking probably still reset it regularly, but on a much longer schedule(maybe after 3 days instead of 1 hour? More? Less? Lemme know. There's no reason we can't just play with the numbers and see what works).
    • 1.9 is the greatest update ever. Seriously. It's like 550 days of bug fixing and optimization. Dare I say it, Minecraft might actually run well after 1.9! I mean. Not right away. Probably on 1.9.3 or something. But soon!
    • Full patch notes here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.9
    This weeks updates:
    • /ventrilo command, and an announcement mentioning it.
    • That's it.
    I realize that that's basically the worst update ever, buuut hear me out. I did that, and then got distracted... By looking into adding a creative world. There are plenty of things to go wrong in adding it, so I apologize for it being a slow thing. Before we add it though, I need to know exactly what type of creative world I'm adding! What do you guys want? Should it be just for prototyping and testing new designs and redstone circuits? Do you want something more permanent? Should we just do automated plots with PlotMe(plugin that makes a grid of regions automatically, with roads between them), or leave it open to the regular protection system? If we go the PlotMe route, how big of an area should each player get? The world will have separate inventories/ender chests, and /shop commands will be disabled, obviously. What kind of creative world do you guys want to see on the server? Reply and let me know.

Last up, the servers financial status: We're good for March's billing, but only about halfway towards April's. We have until mid-March to get enough saved up(they require two-weeks notice on cancellations), so we're going to keep the 4x donor deal going for another month. Anyone who donates during March will have their donation amount count for 4x the value, meaning that $5 counts as $20, $7.50 counts as $30, etc.
    KnightZack60 likes this.
  2. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    For the creative world, I feel a plot me would be perfect with maybe 50x50 maybe a 100x100, i mean were not expecting 100 players to be on it at one time. And 1 plot per person be great. Maybe even limited world edit plugin for the plots. Or something they can use to reset their own plot to a blank slate even. I would personally love a plot me world, so i can do my testing on timgaming instead of reconnecting to another server (my test server) to just test a simple thing or even make a circuit and relog, when i can just /back between the 2 and go from there
  3. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    Update

Minecraft 1.9 has been moved from Feb.25th 2016 to Feb. 29, 2016
  4. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    My opinion: No creative world OR just let people make protections how ever big they want. No plotme.
  5. MarvinTheRobot Paranoid Android

Minecraft Username:
    MarvinTheRobot
    That would work, if players had to pay with their main world money... otherwise free plots with an *unlimeted* plot size sound like a really bad idea...
    I like the plotme solution... I would imagine that 100x100 plots should do for almost all scenarios... maybe make plots 96x96 so that they use 6x6 chunks each (use exact chunk borders as well)
    KnightZack60 likes this.
  6. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    This is why I suggested yes to plot me, a single plot per player and potentially 50x50 or 100x100, but 96x96 be great to have 6 actual chunks, which tbh plotme may be by chunk radius, but idk. May not have that kind of control. Especialy over use of chunk borders. Plot me is automated and you may not be able to snag it by chunk borders.

Also im against unlimited size. Imagine someone having 10,000 x 10,000. That would be unhurd of and no one on timgaming main world would even have a prot that size. The average joe on the main world probably wouldnt even have 100x100. So thats a good base size.

Also plot me does have plot linking ability. Noticed it in the config of plotme
  7. kered987 Distinguished Member

If unlimited plot size was allowed, somebody might just protect a whole area, like all of the Ice plains spike forest, and then nobody else could get at it.
    Hannurr likes this.
  8. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    Thing is plotme auto generates plots. So you dont have access to individual plot sizes. It generates all of that when the world is made. Pretty sure it doesnt even use world guard. It uses its own prot system.
    This video gives all the basic needed info on setting up plot me as well as other aspects like limiting number of plots a player can have (even by rank!)
  9. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    The main reason I never got into creative servers was the whole set base area. If you use tims to pay for a protection I don't see what the problem would be. People could create creative world towns and have lots smaller than 100x100 or even bigger than 100x100.
  10. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    RentWarp, RegionModule, InActiveRegions, WorldGuardTweaks, NameColor, SubwaySystem
    These should all be good for 1.9, there should not be enough changes in the API that would effect any of these plugins. However as soon as 1.9 for spigot is out I will test these asap to be sure.
    WorldGuard should be just about okay for 1.9 they have been future proofing thereselves, but again will be tested.
    PermissionsEx should not be a problem, dynmap I can see potential problem. World Edit should be fine as long as you dont use it on the new blocks, essentials should be good as well.
    Again all will be tested as soon as 1.9 spigot is out, They said spigot 1.9 should be out the day after the update of 1.9 release which is the 29th on Monday and this means spigot is scheduled to be here Tuesday 10pm, so if it is out then I will be on it immediately to test all plugins I have and can get a hold of. (Subway should NOT be a problem, everything about it nothing was changed. It will be tested but should not be an issue.)

Alot of servers use plotme and plotme is its own protection system and 99% of all plotme servers do not use world guard or similar due to this. As well plotme has fixed sized protections, all are the same size you put in the config file. Also world guard and plotme would not get along, plotme will override WG, heck GriefPrevention ignores world guard and lets people protect over a world guard protection and do what they want with it >.<
  11. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    Literally have no clue what you said. I'm suggesting that we don't use anything related to Plotme but stick with World Guard. I don't want fixed size protections, but rather for people to be able to make any size protection they desire.
  12. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    People are not understanding this. Tims is talking about a FLAT WORLD, creative map. If you use just world guard no ones going to know where all the protections are to be able to protect, especially if they can be as big as you want.

Also cities? why? Just to structure a city for the hell of it? otherwise selling lots in a creative city is completely stupid and pointless. --- im going to assume its just to create a city creatively and not sell lots

also idk what you dont understand knight, tbh. But w/e not worried about it. Plotme uses its own protection based system, 99.99% of all plotme servers do not use world guard for protections at all. I understand what your talking about on restrictive size plots, but this is planned as a creative flat world, and there is no way for players to determine what is protected and what isnt. Plotme isnt a necessarily stuck decision, either but we would need a provided indication for players in a flatworld creative world. unless tims chooses to do a normal world. (which be kinda nice), otherwise this be a pain for those wanting to use to test large redstone projects, be insanely annoying.

but w/e
  13. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    I completely understand what tims is talking about. I get confused when you answer my question with something completely different then what I asked. And yes, if this becomes a thing my first goal is to build a city. Why you ask? Because it's in fucking creative and there's no limit to what I can do. I don't see why we need to bring yet another plugin into the server when we have one working fine as it is. "No way for players to determine what is protected and what isn't." Well, we have that same problem in the main world, but we haven't moved to plotme for it yet so there's no need to flip shit about it happening in the creative world. Tims more than likely will just do a flat world, which is fine, I prefer a flat world for creative. But it's not a reason to use the plotme system. You said it yourself that Worldguard and Plotme aren't best friends. Would kinda suck to have them on the same server.
    cactusman777 likes this.
  14. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    "so there's no need to flip shit about it happening in the creative world", really? well define flip a shit there, chill out.

No theyre not best friends working in the same area, the plugins can exist together just the same world they would override each other. Yes you can say its an issue in the overworld but shit be hell annoying in the creative flat world.
  15. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    I've used plotme, i've been on servers with plotme, and im asking that for the sake of the server we do not implement plotme or use it to where YOU can make a protection size you want. Because a 50x50 may be too large for one builder or to small for another builder. Therefore pissing people off. This is my opinion, do not tell me to chill out on my own opinion.
  16. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    Not telling you to chill out on your own opinion, i'm telling you to chill how you just expressed in that post. Besides im not against your opinion I think people should be able to make their own sized plots, its just annoying to find a location on a flatworld that someone didnt make a 10x200 length protection like they do on the overworld. or scattered plots with nothing in them or the smallest thing in a 500x500.

TBH could add something when a prot is made in that world it automatically tell the player they entered "SoandSuch's plot" same for leaving it, I did something like this in a test, I can add it to WGTweaks plugin we already have and add in world based in the config of worlds it works in, and we just list the creative world. This way there's some kind of indicator at least
  17. DJNaughtydog Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    DJNaughtydog
    I like the plot me world idea. An idea would be to give everyone a basic 20x20 space. Your donor level gives you a bigger space say you are a $5 donator. 20+5 for 25x25. $30, 20+30 for a 50x50. You get the idea. Incentive for donating but doesn't squash out non donors and lower level donors. Look out for the little guys but give nice perks to our big spenders.
  18. Hannurr Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Hannurr
    (Sorry if this is really badly worded I'm rushing out the door to uni and I'm on my phone) I've Never used plot me or seen it in action so I'm not really sure what I'm talking about but it does sound simpler than world guard for a creative world. There's going to be so many iSsues trying to find a place to build and like falhur said what if someone makes a 10x2000 protection right across the middle of somewhere BUT it would be good to allow larger flexibility. Is there not a way we can meet in the middle. Set up the creative flat world and have visible grids on it (maybe each chunk is outlined with white wool or something) people can then protect with world guard as long as they stick within matching the lines of the grids. Mods will have to Approve the protection to make sure people aren't making silly 10x200 protections and that they line up within the designated outlines and when they approve it do a block change so white wool changes to red and people can see what has been claimed and what hasn't. But I don't really know what I'm talking about. *waits for falhur to tell me why everything I just said is wrong*
  19. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur

Or have an api setup with world guard on that world and have it auto outline the protections as they are made.
  20. timsandtoms Administrationator

Minecraft Username:
    timsandtoms
    @Fahlur @KnightZack60: Calm your tits. I have no idea what kind of creative world I'm adding, which is why I'm asking for input. I don't know if people want normal terrain generation with the current style of protection to build cities in, or if they want a flat PlotMe world for prototyping. I don't know if we should reset often to get rid of inactive stuff, or let people build giant cities.