1. Trying to use the shop? Use /shop tutorial in-game for a quick overview. Visit here for a command overview.

Server News August Town Hall Meeting

Discussion in 'News' started by pilotkip, Aug 10, 2016.

1. pilotkip Administrator

Minecraft Username:
    pilotkip
    We had our August Town Hall meeting on Saturday August 13th. Topics included:
    • The EULA
    • Donor Rewards
    • Map 6
    Click "Continue Reading" to find the minutes from the meeting posted in a reply.

Attached Files:

2. MarvinTheRobot Paranoid Android

Minecraft Username:
    MarvinTheRobot
    Sadly I won't have time to attend :(
    because I'm on a short vacation again :)
  3. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    Finally going to be able to show up! :D
    pilotkip likes this.
  4. mac115 Distinguished Member

yours truly shall be there, if I am not still asleep..
  5. pilotkip Administrator

Minecraft Username:
    pilotkip
    One topic we will be talking about is new EULA compliant donor rewards. Here is a sneak peek at what I'm thinking:
    [IMG]

I'll discuss these more at tomorrow's meeting.
    -Kip
    Hannurr likes this.
  6. TheAssassin1 Veteran Member

Minecraft Username:
    TheAssassin1
    Waaah, I can't come. But I hope it will be good.
  7. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    hope its good because I wont be on, please give me a chat transcript (log) for the meeting when I get back. :)
  8. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    Updated Info that pertains to the eula incase anyone would like to look more into it

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/eula-info-nugget-allowed-disallowed-perks-blacklist-bypass.159648/

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/more-eula-information-about-voting.162201/
    Apparently via email from mojang, that apparently voting rewards are treated the same as hard currency. That is some crap

https://squidhq.com/faq/
    (Spigot MC Launcher, made specifically to bypass the blacklisting nonsense to join servers)
  9. KnightZack60 Knighteray

Minecraft Username:
    KnightZack
    oh LOL thats today
    cactusman777 likes this.
  10. pilotkip Administrator

Minecraft Username:
    pilotkip
    Here are the notes mixed in with my perspective from the August Town Hall meeting. Many thanks to Hannurr, mac115, JigsawMaster, AverythFox, grikker333, Hawwy, S_Q_U_A_K_K, xSnowX, jackypatakyy, McChickenEX, Pheonix_Knight, puplova2014, and Razer4Lyfe for attending. We discussed two subjects, the EULA and Map 6. Let me start here with the Map 6 update because it's shorter and less controversial.

Map 6 will be coming in mid September. We have a LOT of work to do. It is my first map reset, so please bear with me. Madling is building our new spawn, it ought to be pretty nice! I want the new map to be attractive when new players come. I want a limit on how long 'nerd poles'/'noob poles' persist. They're okay while they're being used to build, but need to be taken down afterwards.

Most members wanted to encourage the growth of towns. One idea would be to grant towns special rights, such as no hostile mobs. We can discuss this further. On to the EULA.

For those who do not know, the EULA is the license that Mojang grants servers like ours certain permissions to use their software. In exchange, we must agree to their rules. It's pretty simple. If we do not operate within their rules, they can shut us down.

Since my mission is to ensure that TimGaming continues to exist long into the future, I am willing to think long and hard about how to run our server completely within the limits that they set. A good first step is to look at the type of experience they want Minecraft players to have, and compare that to how we have been operating in the past.

Mojang has made it very clear that they want all players to have the same game play experience, whether they are donors or not. They specifically do not want Minecraft to be a pay-to-win game. Instead, as in most video games, players can gain powers and abilities through game play and achievements. It doesn't matter if you're old, young, rich or poor, the game is the same for you as it is for everyone else.

This is an amazing thought. We get to design TimGaming to deliver what ever experience we want to our players, so long as all players have the same opportunities. We can use our economy, achievements, events, or anything, to build a thriving community. And that is a key point... “Community” is what our server really ought to be about.

TimGaming has historically been pay-to-win. Those people who donated money to the server got special powers in return. This is completely understandable. This is how the real world is. You spend money, you get something in return. In fact, it is so natural that it is almost incomprehensible to imagine ways of funding the server. This one point is what we fixated on for the entire meeting.

In the week before the meeting, I struggled for ideas on how to get people to support the server, not only financially, but also by helping bring in new players by voting. I was pretty happy with the rewards grid that I posted on the forum. Then Fahlur found an article where Mojang explained that Voter rewards fall into the same category as Donor rewards. Most of the perks I had planned for voting were not allowed. I was completely stunned, but it only proved to me that I didn't yet understand what Mojang was trying to say.

I don't like it when I don't understand something. It bugs me to the point of distraction in the rest of my life. How can you convince people to donate if you don't give them perks, or worse, threats if they don't donate. “We can make the server shittier if we don't meet our donation goals.... “, but to what end? That doesn't feel like a good way to encourage people to stick around.

Turns out, there are many successful projects out there that survive solely on donations that people give willingly. Wikipedia is a great example... they don't sell perks to donors. There are no 'donor only' programs offered to NPR donors. Members support these causes because they see value in them and want them to continue. Maybe we can support the server in a similar fashion.

So this is what we will do. We will do the experiment. We will see if there are enough people who feel that TimGaming is a worthy cause to help support. If there are enough, the burden will be low. We spend just under $5 per day to keep the server running... If we need to, we can lower our cost by finding cheaper hosting (though it may have some effect on the server performance). If we can't survive, we do have some options. The EULA does allow us to sell Server-Wide perks that benefit everyone. Hannurr suggested that players could donate small amounts to meet the daily expenses, which could unlock big perks such as compass. This suggestion was well received at the meeting, and could be how we close any gap between the supporting donors and the cost of hosting the server.

Many people are worried about losing their previously earned donor rewards. There is allowences in the EULA to let people keep these, so long as the same perks can be earned or purchased with game-currency by all players. We get to decide what it takes to earn them. And we can recognize donors too, but only in ways that don't give them an advantage. Cosmetic perks, such as name colors, disguises and duck trails, fall into this category.

I am encouraged and optimistic. Even before asking I have had people tell me that they would be willing to help support TimGaming. These are people for which the server is important, a virtual home where real friends can be made. Let's keep it going for a long, long time.
    metam_ziel, Duckky63, Hannurr and 3 others like this.