1. Trying to use the shop? Use /shop tutorial in-game for a quick overview. Visit here for a command overview.

Currency Switch!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Ideas' started by Ty_FTW!, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ty_FTW! Member

Minecraft Username:
    Ty_FTW
    When I first logged onto the server, and saw that gold was the main currency, i was a little confused. And later, when zombie pigmen no longer drop gold, i was a little disappointed. I think that when the server is reset, we should switch the currency to diamonds! I love making gold farms to use the decorative block, and wish that this was the case. After all, if something is redone, why not make it better? Post your opinions about this idea below!
  2. puplova2014 Moderator

Minecraft Username:
    puplova2014
    Yes but at the same time other than decoration what does one use gold for? Gold tools/armor doesn't last very long or do much. There is enough gold for everyone to mine some within the few weeks each mining world reset happens. however diamonds are a lot harder of a find than gold and spawn significantly less as well as diamonds are affected by things like fortune and mcmmo superbreaker which could give the player more. Also diamond would then have to remain a constant price(Like gold is now) in which would drive the willingness of mining for diamonds for things like armor and tools to go down.
  3. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
    I used to be in the 'swap currency from gold to something else' boat, but I was swayed. Paging @Fahlur, who I'm sure would be willing to weigh up some Pros and Cons of each :)
  4. Ty_FTW! Member

Minecraft Username:
    Ty_FTW
    I agree that it would make finding diamonds a less tempting, but the server isn't a real world economy, but a game. Lets face it, diamonds are better than gold, so it would make sense for them to be worth more. Also, gold is useful for lots of things! Gold apples, gold carrots for potions and breeding horses, and trading with villagers to name a few. I think that it would be wise for us to just remove gold from the server shop, as to get out of the mindset of "it's too expensive" to do such actions. Im thinking of making a huge quartz/gold town hall this map, (or is it season?) and I believe that this is a smart choice. Rebounding back to the mcmmo issue, it literally says that certain functions can be disabled or changed depending on the server, so i don't see it as a problem.
  5. cactusman777 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    cactusman777
    While true, many principals remain the same in both. Without proper planning and stabilization, everything could go to shit pretty quick. Disregarding the current system we have in place of having Gold as a currency (which has been successful for near half a decade) whilst not looking at every possible function that could be effected in the market will lead to some pretty disastrous results. Why fix something that isn't broken? It may not be perfect, but other potential suitors could lead to much bigger problems than being unable to make gold carrots cheaply.
  6. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    BTW to point out something on gold, the only golden apples craft able as of 1.10 is regular ones the notch ones can only be found as loot in chests again now. They are no longer craftable (again)
  7. Ty_FTW! Member

Minecraft Username:
    Ty_FTW
    I guess you guys are right. Just wanted to see if we could get some "semi-essential" farms back into the mix. And as to what you've said Fahlur, i believe that since notch apple crafting has been changed so much in the past, that the recipe may just change back.
  8. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    Probably but you have to remember Notch Apple crafting didnt exist when it came out, it was loot only and they wanted to bring back some of the original aspects of minecraft, such as that. Especially with the new chest loot tables. No 2 chests are the same every time you reload the seed, they randomly generate a new loot every time the chest is first time opened.
  9. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    heh lol

yea gold as abundant as it is, I would like to be able to have that gold farm for the decor block, to make powered rails, regular golden apples, potions, etc etc.

But diamonds like others have said are far more rare, as well I would think emeralds be the best currency if it wasn't for the potential infinite emerald farm issues.

But hey there's pros and cons to everything.

We could make gold 500/500 and make diamonds 1,500/1,500

just to give you that choice if you want to sell diamonds and such but also keep diamonds from becoming dirt cheap, or hell a expensive, also lower the value of the abundant gold.

But to be quite honest pigmen dropping gold nuggets should be prevented in the overworld but thye need to be put back in the nether. its a vanilla thing I dont want vanilla hurt to much but I dont want our economy fd up either. So yea since the nether resets the fear of a farm there wouldnt be so bad.
  10. Eatin_Cheese The Xrayer Slayer

Minecraft Username:
    Eatin_Cheese
    This topic has been brought up several times in the past, I'm very much for the use of diamonds as a replacement for gold.

Diamonds are a lot harder to find and are used for essential equipment/tools/armor. This would mean enchanted items would be worth more if they have what you're looking for, it would mean enchanted books would be more desirable. That would make pvp a valuable aspect of the game again. Also because they get unavoidably used as well as sold, the economy would have a natural universal money sink.

While it's true diamonds are affected by fortune, and gold is not. I believe it would still balance out especially in light of the new gold generation with this update. MCMMO can effect both diamond and gold drop rates, I made a ton of money using MCMMO on the current map.

Gold, while useful for many things as mentioned above isn't nearly as useful as diamonds. Many people just avoid using items created from gold, or use it sparingly.

With this update comes new generation that makes gold far more abundant in specific regions, That would likely be a major issue with the current economy. Using diamonds for the new standard in currency makes far more sense in my opinion.
    MarvinTheRobot likes this.
  11. pilotkip Administrator

Minecraft Username:
    pilotkip
    Gah.

While I'm not convinced just yet, you have begun to sway me Cheese. A lot to think about and not a lot of time to think about it. This, on top of how to obtain the perks we're all used to getting are the two things that keep me up at night.
    MarvinTheRobot and Eatin_Cheese like this.
  12. MarvinTheRobot Paranoid Android

Minecraft Username:
    MarvinTheRobot
    Mmh Eatin is bringing up some really good arguments!

No no no, I know some people who are crazy good at building farms, as long as gold is being used as a currency (fixed price; not dirt cheap) enabling them to drop gold nuggets anywhere is a really bad idea.

My only issue with removing gold as a currency would be that gold itself has very few uses, primarily crafted rails and a limited use in potions (and crafting those apples once it gets cheaper). I've always wanted to have a second currency that is worth 100 tims so when you do a trade you can just throw them items worth 1200 or 1500 timonians. Maybe we could fix the price of diamonds at 1000 and gold ingots at 100. I assume we will want to raise the cost of protections anyway. So we can adjust the protection costs to the changes in currency on top of that I guess.
  13. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    the problem is the nether resets weekly. And to make any form of efficient farm in the nether for pigmen takes a considerable amount of time. To make it efficient enough youll need to make 128 blocks all around not spawnable. Also pigzombie gold nugget drop is a rare drop anyways. Plus 9 is needed for 1 ingot. Also them being blocked in the nether is a byproduct of a temporary fix via skript that had to be made because a plugin that handled the prevention of the drop broke , which is the same plugin that allowed the changing of drops of mobs including when we spawned giants that dropped blue wool.
  14. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    I know people wont go for this but why not keep gold as the running currency, then turn natural regeneration off. Forcing players if they want to "heal" they need to either craft a golden apple, potion or a beacon to heal. Otherwise just die for regen. But give rewards for long life spans. >:}
  15. MarvinTheRobot Paranoid Android

Minecraft Username:
    MarvinTheRobot
    I think you are underestimating what a dedicated player, let alone a group of dedicated and organized players can do in a short amount of time...
    Bad cost ratio of not disabling gold nugget drops... very small benefit... potentially super big problem...

We actually had issues with gold farms at the beginning of this map... I remember logging in and teleporting to a player, he had been building this massive pigmen farm for 12h straight and was not done yet and it was already producing a significant amount of drops. Imagine having 5 people work on it and getting better at it after each reset of the nether...
  16. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    128 in all directions

Center

North 128,
    south 128
    east 128
    west 128

so..

128 + 128 = 256 - L or W
    256x256 = 65,536 potential blocks to cover

65,536 blocks to cover in slabs or lava

1 block / sec = 65,536 seconds

You cant take instant mine to much in account because thats illogical to mine out everything as its waaaay more blocks than that so lets say slabbing

18.20 hours of slab placed if the area was perfectly flat and constant placing every 1 second. lava would increase speed but still gathering lava and safely placing it would still take time.

By the time you even with an organized team made a working farm thats estimated over a day to fully create at "perfect standards"

You wouldn't utilize enough gold from a rare drop of 1 gold nugget for every 2.5% chance per kill by the player. And this chance is only up to a 5.5% chance for the ingot or nugget.

Now you have to take in account spawn cap as well. You cant make a farm above the nether because the roof is protected on purpose to prevent that.

Im just saying that theres no sense in wasting time to make a farm that will take upmost a couple days of hard dedicated work, just to have to do it again the following week.

just pointing out..
  17. Eatin_Cheese The Xrayer Slayer

Minecraft Username:
    Eatin_Cheese
    Looting III drastically increases the drop of gold from pigzombies. You don't need a super efficient farm like Fahlur described, just a 3 block high pole, an open area and a bow, you can farm a fair amount of gold in relative safety within the nether. safety increases with a few dogs. I've done this while grinding quartz, it works pretty good.

Diamonds are natively non-farmable across the board in vanilla. It appears to me that tinkering with drops and jumping through hoops to prevent economy breaking farms can all be avoided with utilizing diamonds. Gold farms could be allowed or banned it doesn't matter to me which. Although it would be nice to be able to utilize a new block
    MarvinTheRobot likes this.
  18. MarvinTheRobot Paranoid Android

Minecraft Username:
    MarvinTheRobot
    Yep, and I'm also way faster than just placing 1 block per second, we've slabed up the nether a few times so we could farm wither skulls, it does not take that long when working on it with a few players.

But but but :( ... I'd really like to get a second 'currency block' that's worth 100 tims so I can throw you 1 diamond and 2 gold ingots instead of doing /money pay eatin_cheese 1200

And it feels wrong if gold is suddenly worth less than coal or iron.

You also have to consider other plugins though, not just vanilla, we'll have to disable the mcmmo salvage skill in any of the two cases. But yeah, you already convinced me with your last post, that we should switch to diamonds as the (primary ;) ) currency.

What do you mean? You can already use gold and diamond blocks :D, it's just expensive to do so. Like in RL, if you want bling on your buildings (and not the cheap knock off version), it's going to cost you ;).
    It will be easier to use gold blocks (as cheaper) but using diamond blocks will become more expensive (diamonds have been below 1k tims for quite some time now), so you gain one block but lose another one (ratio won't be 1:1, but you get the idea), so I never understood this "argument" in the first place.
    Eatin_Cheese likes this.
  19. Eatin_Cheese The Xrayer Slayer

Minecraft Username:
    Eatin_Cheese
    I don't have a problem with gold still being used, but if we do use it we'll still have to work on disabling economy breaking farms.

I'm also a big fan of bartering or using 'cash' or items. It makes a trade feel a little more real to me, so something worth an odd number would be alright
  20. Fahlur Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Fahlur
    It be nice if a different form of currency was used. because 944 blocks of gold will be interesting to obtain for this build that im clearly going to have to use something like yellow clay for instead