1. Trying to use the shop? Use /shop tutorial in-game for a quick overview. Visit here for a command overview.

I've got it!

Discussion in 'Cities and Projects' started by kingmario75, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Do you think this is a good idea?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2012.
Yes 6 vote(s) 46.2%
No 2 vote(s) 15.4%
Yes, and I'd like to help 2 vote(s) 15.4%
No, now quit wasting my time 3 vote(s) 23.1%
  1. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    Hello plebians and plebeonites of Timcraft! It is I, Kingmario, with another great idea. Since the new 1.3 update has come to fruition, Books and Quills have now appeared. In light of this, I have decided upon opening, wait for it... Yes, a book store! So, now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, I wanted to see what the reaction to something like this would be. I already have a few plans for books, and I would love to know if anyone would be interested in helping out. There are, however, some stipulations about who I would allow to help.

1. You have to at least have some idea about the laws of grammar, and an understanding of the English language.
      1. This means you cant talk like this: HI HoWis yew i is gooooooood!!!!!!
    2. You must also know how to write in a manner that is pleasant, appealing, and not... bad.
    3. I would ask that you are at least a sophomore in high school.
    4. It would help if you at least enjoy reading and/or writing.
    I do have a few positions available that I would like to fill.
    1. I need some more help writing the books.
    2. I need some people with at least decent grammar, to edit the books.
    3. I need some help managing the store, and maybe building it.
    4. I would love some people to contribute and make up a story.
    As far as pay would go, it has not been decided yet. I suppose those details could be worked out at a later date. The same for the price of a book, it has not been decided upon yet.

I would also be looking for a spawnlot, so if someone wanted to help out with buying one, I would be glad to give them a cut of the profits.

If interested, please post below. All of you who would like to help, let me know, and we can discuss more details in private.

I will edit this post as I get people to help, or more ideas.
  2. BT267 Distinguished Member

I'm interested. I kinda like writing. But im takeing a REALLY hard writing class this year so i dont know if ill want to. I might just have to wait and see
  3. adurlene Banned

4. BT267 Distinguished Member

Yea.... I've thought about it, and im doing some other mc server shops. Plus, the idea of writing all night isnt appealing. Sorry, i have changed my mind
  5. boar401s2 Mr. Roboto

Minecraft Username:
    boar401s2
    G'day mate! I like to think that I have a decent level of grammar, however I am not of the standard of "Somophore" in high school. I am not planing on being a full time worker at your store, but if I get spare time I may write a few short stories and contribute them your store!

Yours truly,

Boarys
  6. brandonian9 Distinguished Member

I could probully write a few books for you. I'm not within your age standards but i do have decent spelling and grammar. Dunno though.
  7. Dan_the_man85 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Dan_the_man85
    Cn eye halp u wit da bouk sture??????????????????????????
  8. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    After debating wether or not to slap you first, I have decided to let uou help out, and that I will not slap you first.

I would allow you to help. You seem mature enough to handle this. We can discuss the details privately.
  9. ECMBlacklite Redstone Engineer

Minecraft Username:
    Ekem
    Slap yourself.
    McChickenEX likes this.
  10. Dan_the_man85 Exalted Member

Minecraft Username:
    Dan_the_man85
    YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I GIT TU RITE BUUKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    I hate this phone, it changed my you to uou. I blame the "would" on being tired. On second thought, I don't think "I would allow you to help." is actually breaking any laws of grammar.
  12. ECMBlacklite Redstone Engineer

Minecraft Username:
    Ekem
    It's just awkward. It's past tense. Normally if you say something like that, it's leading into something like, "I would allow you to help, but I have too many people already." I will allow you to help would probably be better.
  13. razorunicorn Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    razorunicorn
    its a great idea but i only seeing it getting major business at the begining of the reset then later on being very slow but good luck its a great idea :D
  14. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    I agree that "will" would have been a better choice, however I don't think "would" is wrong either.
  15. ECMBlacklite Redstone Engineer

Minecraft Username:
    Ekem
    Unless you did it in the past, not really. By saying "I would", you're saying you would let him join in the past. It gives no sense of future events, which is what you are trying to do (I'd assume). So no, it's not wrong, but it changes the meaning. So basically wrong.
  16. TCNC Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    TCNC
    Isn't 'would' part of the conditional tense, not past? i r smart

Edit: Looked it up and it seems like it is both past and conditional tenses. Yes, I am that bored.
  17. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    See, tcnc and the Internet support my statement.
  18. ECMBlacklite Redstone Engineer

Minecraft Username:
    Ekem
    I mentioned that earlier.
    Thank you, though. Either way, it still changes the meaning. One way, it's "leading into something else", as I put it (conditional tense), or it's talking about the past (past tense), which would indicate he is not necessarily still inviting that particular person.
    So no, it doesn't.
  19. kingmario75 Distinguished Member

Minecraft Username:
    Kingmario75
    But I am technically using it in a conditional tense. Seeing as how I am letting him work even though he doesn't meet all my requirments. However, it was implied, not sated directly.
  20. ECMBlacklite Redstone Engineer

Minecraft Username:
    Ekem
    But that still doesn't work. "I would allow you to join, even though you don't meet the requirements" still doesn't work. You still need a "will" there. "Would" would work if you were saying this, "I would allow you to join, but you don't meet the requirements." It's used to lead into the second part, which I highlighted blue.

It's hard to explain the rule behind this, so here's a link: http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/how-use-would The one I was talking about is the third one down under "Would for unreal situations". What you wanted to say also doesn't match the "would in conditional sentences", because "would" used that way is more refering to when/if a condition is/was met, whereas you want to say it doesn't matter that the conditions are not meet.

We can continue the pointless conversation if you would like, I don't care. I really don't like to argue, I just want to educate people, and make sure they aren't misinformed.